Did you know that Kauffman Park used to be a fruit farm? Check out this wonderful article on the Cleveland Historical Society's website to learn more!
This is Cherry Tree Lane, which ran perpendicular to Detroit Avenue on the Andrews Family Farm.
Andrews Family Home: Virginia Harron Andrews and her husband Edwin Andrews lived in this house at 15316 Detroit Avenue with their children. In this undated photograph, members of the French and Andrews families pose in front of the house.
The French-Andrews orchards stretched north behind the house all the way to Lake Erie. The house itself was torn down in the late 1930s and is now the site of a parking lot behind the Lakewood Plaza strip mall.
Mars Shopping Center, Ca. 1940s: The Andrews family house at 15316 Detroit Avenue was torn down in the late 1930s to make way for the Mars Shopping Center, pictured here. The A and P Supermarket later burned down, and the site is now the Lakewood Plaza strip mall. The Lakewood Masonic Temple can be seen at the right end of this image.
Jimmie Foxx, one of baseball’s most feared sluggers and member of Baseball’s Hall of Fame, lived in Lakewood during his retirement years. Foxx, known as “Double X,” was named Most Valuable Player in the American League three separate times, in 1932, 1933 and in 1938. In 1952 he managed the Fort Wayne Daisies-a team in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. In 1992, the film A League of Their Own based the team's manager (played by Tom Hanks) loosely on Foxx, Jimmie Foxx Field at Kauffman Park is named in his honor.
The Little Links Putt-Putt Golf Course, previously known as Lakewood Miniature Golf Course, was located in Kauffman Park, 15450 Detroit Ave. The course was removed in 2011.
(All images courtesy of the Lakewood Historical Society)